Members of our community Sado and Mixons are organising a 2 vs 2 tournament. The tournament will be played in a special beta version of the KaM Remake that supports live multiplayer spectating. This will allow many of the tournament games to be live streamed and commentated so anybody can watch. Some of these streams will hopefully have guest commentators, including top KaM players and the KaM Remake developers.
There has been no news on the homepage for a few months now. Let’s fix that! While the next big Demo release date is not yet planned, we have already coded some nice features that will be included. The list is not fancy, but is growing as we work on it.
- Unicode support. We are finally adding proper support for Chinese characters (devblog article). This also means you can correctly see characters from other languages in chat regardless of your selected locale.
- File transfer in multiplayer. So you won’t have to download savegames or new maps via 3rd-party sites. Transfers will be done within the game when the client clicks download.
- Reworked units selection (devblog 1, devblog 2). Selecting units will become easier and more intuitive.
- Even more dynamic scripts. With new script commands even more customization will be possible in missions.
- Bugfixes and small improvements. As always we are fixing reported bugs and adding minor improvements.
In the latest release (Scripting Demo r5503) campaign The Shattered Kingdom mission 18 was impossible to win because AI would send swarms of soldiers to players base. Finally the fix is ready and uploaded. The fix can be found in downloads section. To install the fix you need to unpack archive contents into your KaM Remake r5503 installation folder. Doinf so will replace KaM Remake\Campaigns\The Shattered Kingdom\TSK18\TSK18.dat script file. After that you can replay the mission and AI will behave normal.
UPDATE 19 September 2013: The transfer of www.kamremake.com to the new host has been completed! If you have any issues with the site please let us know. The community TeamSpeak server kamts.eu is also available.
Since the project began the KaM Remake has grown beyond our expectations. The number of players online in multiplayer regularly peaks at over 120. In both July and August our website www.kamremake.com transferred about 2 terabytes of traffic (see graph to right), and it is only one of our download mirrors, the majority of downloads occur on other mirrors provided by fans. On the other hand, our multiplayer master server which maintains the list of game servers services nearly 2 million individual requests per month (average of 40 per minute) from about 20,000 unique IP addresses (see statistics below).
We have received a number of bugreports since release about mission 18 being impossible to win because AI would send swarms of soldiers to players base. We have checked the mission and indeed there’s a bug. I’ve just sent everyone who has reported the bug in past month a fixed script, if the fix will be accepted we will upload it to the public.
Tech info for mapmakers:
The bug appeared since prior to r4179 AI attacks would copy missing properties from previous attack, but after r4179 the attacks are initialized with zeroes each time. This means that in order to be working properly the attacks need to have all fields listed explicitly. The most affected field is the attack delay – it will be set to 0 instead of copying previous attack value.